About Me

My photo
Hello world! My name is Genevieve, I'm an 18-year-old college student, majoring in journalism, and I have a crazy passion for the Lord and serving through humanitarian work. The purpose of this blog is for me to record my journey in this dream of making even the slightest impact in some one's life somehow, somewhere, in some way for His glory... and along my way, hearing the stories of those who share the same passion for volunteering as I do. Those who know me, know that I love going on adventures, but I'd have to say that this is the biggest adventure of my life: chasing change.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Love is indeed RESPECT

About 2 months ago, I learned about this place called the Valley Trauma Center in Van Nuys, Calif. where they provide various types of service for victims of domestic violence or sexual abuse. 2 weeks ago, I went in for an interview to start training for volunteering this January 2011.

I'm extremely excited because awareness of sexual violence is something that I'm extremely passionate about. I signed up for several advocacy positions that are available beginning with my #1 pick:

Prevention Education Advocacy - assisting in providing hundreds of presentations to the community annually to raise awareness about issues regarding interpersonal violence, with the goal of lessening the impact of domestic/sexual violence in society by speaking to students, parents, and community groups.

Rape Crisis Advocacy - answering hotline calls, accompanying survivors at hospitals, courts, and police stations, and providing follow-up calls for clients

Buddy For Me Mentoring - mentoring and guidance for victim or at risk children and adolescents of domestic/sexual violence

Community Service Volunteering - assisting with fundraising, special events and other projects of VTC

I hope that one day I'll be able to go around to high schools educating teens on domestic and sexual abuse and through this center, I know I WILL be able to that! Thank God! Teens now-a-days need to know about these things more than ever, especially since they're getting all "serious" with their relationships and not being a virgin is "cool" now. I just hope to God that this type of violence will decrease, beginning with awareness and education. So excited! :D

Please be an advocate yourself! If you, or anyone you know has been a victim or show sings of being a victim of domestic or sexual abuse, please contact one of the following:

Valley Trauma Center 24-hour helpline: 1-818-886-0453
 Valley Trauma Center website: http://www.csun.edu/vtc

Also, Love is Respect is a national 24-hour domestic violence and sexual abuse resource located in Austin, Texas. Love is Respect can be accessed by phone or the internet, specifically designed for teens and young adults. The helpline and website offer real-time one-on-one support from trained peer advocates and is managed by the National Domestic Violence Hotline (NDVH).

Love is Respect 24-hour helpline:  1-866-331-9474
Love is Respect website: http://www.loveisrespect.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers